FORT WORTH, Texas – The No. 18 TCU men’s tennis team did not miss a step on Sunday afternoon as they cruised to a 4-0 victory over SMU at the SMU Tennis Complex in Dallas, Texas.
The Horned Frogs (5-2) never trailed in doubles with the pair of Bertus Kruger and Reese Stalder starting the day with a 6-2 win on court three. Alastair Gray returned to action after a two-week hiatus and paired up with Trevor Johnson to clinch the doubles point as the pair got the 6-3 win on court two over the Mustangs (3-6).
No. 80 Johnson took that momentum into singles action as the senior remained undefeated on the year with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Charles Nettlefold. Eduardo Roldan got a late break on court six and then cruised to a 6-0 win in the second set to put point No. 3 on the board for the Frogs. No. 26 Alex Rybakov provided the final point needed to get the overall team victory with the junior downing Jan-Simon Vrbsky, 6-2, 6-3, on court one for his fourth dual-match win this season.
Quotes from the Match
Head Coach David Roditi
“SMU is always a special match as all crosstown rivals are. We have struggled in doubles against them before so I was very pleased to see us win the doubles point. I am glad we won and in the matches we won in singles we competed and played well. We have just over two weeks until the next dual match and we need that time to get down in the trenches and work. We are not where we need to be and we have a lot of work ahead of us. Last year, we had this break as well and made the most of it. We will do that again otherwise this season could get away from us. It was also nice to see Alastair (Gray) back on the court even though it was just for doubles. We had awesome attendance from past tennis alumni, our committee members and TCU staff. We loved seeing all of them make the drive and we appreciate their support.”
TCU vs SMU
Feb 11, 2018 at Dallas, Texas
(SMU Tennis Complex)
#18 TCU 4, SMU 0
1. #36 Alex Rybakov (TCU) def. Jan-Simon Vrbsky (SMU) 6-2, 6-3
2. #80 Trevor Johnson (TCU) def. Charles Nettlefold (SMU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Tomas Vaise (SMU) vs. #25 Guillermo Nuñez (TCU) 6-4, 2-6, 0-1, unfinished
4. Roberto Rosales (SMU) vs. Reese Stalder (TCU) 6-7 (6-8), 2-1, unfinished
5. Eladio Fabregas (SMU) vs. Bertus Kruger (TCU) 6-4, 3-6, 0-1, unfinished
6. Eduardo Roldan (TCU) def. Gardiner Perotti (SMU) 6-4, 6-0
1. Jan-Simon Vrbsky/Tomas Vaise (SMU) vs. #53 Alex Rybakov/Guillermo Nuñez (TCU) 4-5, unfinished
2. Alastair Gray/Trevor Johnson (TCU) def. Eladio Fabregas/Gardiner Perotti (SMU) 6-3
3. Reese Stalder/Bertus Kruger (TCU) def. Charles Nettlefold/Roberto Rosales (SMU) 6-2
TCU 5-2; National ranking #18
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (2,6,1)
TCU will take the next two weeks off before returning to action back at home on the Bernard J. ‘Tut’ Bartzen Varsity Courts. The Frogs will welcome Tulsa to the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center on Wednesday, Feb. 28 at 5:30 p.m.